Friday, June 18, 2010

What is Time?

Today we had a really deep discussion in my religion class, (don't worry it wasn't really about religion if you aren't a religious person) and we were discussing time. I dont know how this topic of conversation came up, but we got into speaking about time and how it works. My teacher told us that us humans are the ones who created this sense of time but, in all actuality, time is non existent. There really is only one time, the present. The present is the only time you can make decisions, carry things through and know what will be done. the past, has already happened, and is impossible to change so it can't be counted, and the future is the X factor. You can't predict or plan for the future because the future will be and always is unknown.
If you look at these facts, (Time being only the present, no such thing as the future or past,) then we as human being live terrible lives. 75% of our lives are spent crying, thinking, debating, and hurting ourselves over the past, (the past that once it happens no longer exists) and the other 25% is always spent worrying, thinking and working on things we need to do, want to do, or have to do in the future, (which is also non existent as of right now.) We rarely spend actual time living in the moment, in the now time. Which ironically is the only time that exists. This is the problem with the world and people today, gone are the times where we were just taking time out of our day to meditate, relax, and just "be" in the moment.

We need to forgive and forget about the past, because that moment is already gone, we will never get it back, because it has already become non existent. Those moments in the future, they shouldn't be stressed over because what will happen, will happen. You can't change what you don't know about.

According to my religion teacher, (who has had a horrible past.) the only way we can be truly happy, is if we take time to live. To take pride in the things around us, live in the moment and tell yourself that this moment will be amazing! Because, if you know the moment you live in will be positive, happy, and everyting will work out for you, then your life will be happy because that moment is the only moment that really truly exists.

Sorry, I sort have gone on a rant here about time, but I just found it so fascinating, maybe I'm crazy or maybe we can all really be happy if we just learn to de-stress. anyways, message is;

"Time is free, but it is priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it, you can never get it back."
-Harvey Mackey


  1. Its always fun to think outside the box! =)

  2. Yeah, I've heard things like this before. It's really quite interesting!

  3. That's pretty impressive and worth thinking about...might try and take something from that and be happy in the present. I see how you justify forgetting the past but surely planning for the future will make you happy when you achieve it in the present?

  4. Love this post, as you know how much I'm interested in time.
    I'd heard this before actually, but it was still interesting to read again, reminds us to live for now.

  5. Nerdy Girl,
    I always love thinking about things in depth, I don't know why but I just find it fascinating. Anyways thanks for the comment!

    Bookish. Spazz.
    Totally agreed, it is amazing how life is what we make of, and it is true to. I have decided to try my teachers theory, and I woke up saying that it will be an amazing day just because I Said so.

    It doesn't mean you don't plan for the future, it means if what you were trying to plan for the future does not work, then don't stress over it, something better will come your way. :)

    Thanks, I decided I wanted to write something inspiring, I was inspired by someone else, so i passed it on.