Sunday, June 6, 2010

Yes, I'm A Teenager....Get over it!


Just the other day, I was at the gas station pumping gas for my mom, (haven't got a license...yet.) we were about to go into he city to visit some relatives. we were having some quality mother daughter time, joking and what not, she was fixing something in her purse and asked me to go get some drinks and pay for the gas while I was at it. I said that was fine, great actually because I wanted some Diet Dr. Pepper, (my favorite drink ever!!) It was all good, nothing seemed odd, until I walked into the little gas station shop.

As soon as I opened the door all eyes were on me. it wasn't even the "oh look someone opened the door" look. It was more of the "keep an eye on her she might rob us of all our jolly ranchers" look. It really made me feel uncomfortable. I tried to ignore them and just go and get my drink from the fridge, but it was like as soon as I opened the door they all tried to get a better look at what i was doing. Honestly, I know I am a teenager, but these people were being just ridiculous. It was like they were waiting for me to pull a gun on them.

finally I got to the front cash and paid, i went back into the car and just tried to forget it all. But it just really bothered me, that because I was a teenager, these people were watching me extra carefully. They knew nothing about me, yet they just presumed this is what all teens do in their spare time. This incident got me thinking about the world. Our world has become such a stereotypical place we tend to judge people on first glance. I confess even I have done this at times, when walking down a busy street I tend to look out for certain people because of "vibes" for all I know they could actually be nice people.

This incident wasn't even the first time something like this has happened. where I live everywhere you go on the little shop doors they will have signs, "maximum three students at a time, no backpacks, or bags..." It is really bothersome that these people will just assume because of a few bad apples, all teens are self absorbed, lying, thieves. What about you? Has this ever happened to you? If so what happened, what did you do?

"Stereotypes are devices for saving a biased person the trouble of learning..."
Anonymous.



2 comments:

  1. Eh not so much. I look old enough that adults usually don't bother me. But I do agree. It's not fair that adults stereotype teens like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookish.Spazz

    you are very lucky, I'm the eldest child in my family, yet everyone thinks I am younger than my little sister! XD the curse of being unnaturally short.....

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete